Old October 11th 06, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default http://maps.google.co.uk/

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Peter Frimberley wrote:

Ah, judging from the cars parked on the Hammersmith Road directly
outside my flat, I would say it is a Sunday morning picture, it's
the only day of the week that parking is allowed there.

I think we decided that was the case earlier. A look at Brick Lane
market certainly confirms it!

What sort of date range are we down to?

It's after 22 Jan 2006 (Westbourne Park bus garage fire) and before 9
Mar 2006 (when I know the Devonshire Road, Chiswick, repaving was more
advanced than on Google).

If it's only a few weeks across, then knowing that it was a sunday
morning when the tide was flooding would probably pin it down. Working
out the exact time is going to be trickier, although once we have the
date, i think we could do it with one of the fortuitous
sundial objects.

The tide is coming in, as can be seen from the water patterns at the
Barrier, but it's nowhere near high water - look at the house boats
upstream of Battersea Bridge, and the foreshore at Chiswick. So I think
we should be looking for a Sunday when high water at London Bridge is
between 12:00 and 16:00.

That narrows it down to these three dates (the time is high water at
London Bridge):

Sun 29 Jan 2006 13:39
Sun 12 Feb 2006 13:34
Sun 26 Feb 2006 12:32

That said, we still don't have a really good one - something really
tall and thin, whose shadow is being cast onto flat, level ground.
Does anyone have an air navigation map of London? That would list
masts, which might do the job.

John provided a Google Maps reference to what I assume is the new
control tower at Heathrow. (For a photo, see
http://www.dormanlongtechnology.com/...hrow_CT_03.jpg )

The Google Earth measuring tool gives a shadow length of 283 m. The
tower is 87.5 m tall. Anyone got a protractor to measure the direction
of the shadow?

--
Richard J.