Old October 9th 03, 04:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
JohnB JohnB is offline

Default Britains Crap Roads, Answers wanted

Jonathan Marten - Volume Systems Products UK wrote:

JohnB writes:
Buster wrote:
For those that have not visited Bruges, let me describe a car journey
to that city.

We arrived on the Sea Cat (The Vomit Comet) at Ostend and drive 13
miles to Bruges where you are directed down a tunnel some miles out
of the city. After driving some distance underground, you are directed
into giant car parks and take the lift back to daylight, where you
arrive in the middle of a huge town square with Bars and restaurants
around the edge, and the latest shops within a short walk.
No Stress at all.

None? You jest.
Now had you jumped on Eurostar and simply crossed platforms in Brussels it is
likely you would have ha a much more pleasant journey. Just think, not having
to queue at the ferry port or having to drive. You even admit the crossing is
less than enjoyable.
Instead, you could relax with a book and a meal, or enjoy a snooze.

From your self-centered point of view, yes. But the OP could have
been carrying a substantial amount of luggage (or intending to carry a
substantial amount - e.g. beer - back), been travelling as a large
group, or with babies or small children. He could also have decided
to travel at short notice, or started from somewhere well outside
London.

Well there you are then.
I make the journey several times a year, usually with wife and four children, two
still of primary school age. We regularly stay in Bruges.
Oh, and I usually book only few days before travelling.

And no, I don't live in London. and yes I travel from a rural station.

Any of those factors could make train journeys and multiple
interchanges totally impractical, prohibitively expensive or just far
too much trouble.

They could in *your* "self-centred point of view" but somehow in mine they don't.
Perhaps its something with not having such a closed mind.

It doesn't provide anything for those who can't use it, for whatever
reason.

Neither for those who refuse to look at possible alternatives.

John B