Old October 12th 06, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Can I buy myself a discounted Network Railcard?

wrote:

Hi,

Mizter T wrote:

Definitely not in the rules! You should only be able to buy a single
discounted (i.e. £1) Network Railcard per Gold Card. I wouldn't be
surprised by ticket offices not endorsing the Gold Card when they issue
a discounted Network Railcard, but I'm surprised they issued you with
two - in fact I'm surprised you asked. I presume you were just trying
it on?!

Until the replies in this thread I was under the (incorrect) impression
that buying several was perfectly legitimate. I'd read the TfL fares
guide and the "buy a Network Railcard for a relative or friend" had
merged in my brain with "Travelcards for friends and family at an adult
reduced price" which had given me this idea. I'd probably have been
clearer if it had said something like "partner or close relative"
rather than "friend".

I do apologise for casting aspersions on your character. I should of
course remember that most people don't know the minutiae of ticketing
rules off the top of their head - quite why I do, especially as I've
never held a Gold Card - or indeed a 'Partner's card' - is a good
question, one which I might struggle to answer!

Apart from anything else the logic beneath my question was flawed -
someone trying it on wouldn't even try buy two from the same ticket
office! They'd hope that their Gold Card wasn't endorsed the first time
round so they could go to another ticket office and get a second (and
so-on and so-on until the ticket office in question followed the
rules!).

I detect an illicit business opportunity here!

I did wonder why said business opportunity wasn't being milked by all
and sundry!

The critical thing that controls whether one permitted 'Partner's card'
has been issued is a mere mark on the actual Gold Card ticket - there
isn't AFAIA an associated central computer database. Nonetheless the
system would work fine if all ticket office staff abide by it.

If the TOCs can't manage to do this then they deserve to lose revenue!

Yes, my interpretation above looks a bit stupid in the cold light of
day, but previously I'd only taken a quick glance at the fares guide.

Luke

I absolutely accept your explanation!

Thanks for sharing this - it demonstrates a systems failure. Quite why
I'm doing the TOCs job for them I don't know!