Old October 12th 06, 11:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Congested cul-de-sacs

Stephen Farrow wrote:

Jon wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
From the maps on the cclondon website, it looks like the western extension
will include a number of cul-de-sacs, and similar, off the inside of the
cordon, for instance Blantyre Street, Childs Street, Redfield Lane, Lawrence
Street, Embankment Gardens etc. I find this hard to understand. How much
does each camera cost? Since Childs Street contains nothing but houses, all
of whose residents will qualify for the exemption, I wonder how long it will
take the Childs Street camera to pay for itself, or whether it will ever pay
for itself.

Could it be to stop people using these roads as zone-edge car parks ?

If they're off the *inside* of the cordon, probably not.

Not sure exactly what you mean by that Stephen. The roads in question
are within the zone, but are cul-de-sacs where the only means of access
is from the boundary of the zone, not from anywhere within the zone -
i.e. by driving up one you'd hit a dead end, and wouldn't get any
further into the zone. John's point is whether it's worth including
these in the zone as the costs of enforcement (putting up statc camers)
would be too great.