Old October 14th 06, 12:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael R N Dolbear Michael R N Dolbear is offline

Default Oyster travelcard recharge

wrote
[...]
But that assumes (wrongly, in my case) that I will only top-up when
making a Tube journey. The ONLY time I need Pay as you Go is for
travelling on a bus. One can't top up on a bus, so how other than at a
Tube station am I supposed to top up?

In a recent (August) thread 'Oyster on Buses' it was noted that auto
top-up was now working on buses.

I googled.groups [oyster top-up bus]

Answer
Once activated, your pay as you go balance will automatically be topped

up whenever it falls below £5 and you touch it on any card reader
(Tube, bus, DLR or tram) but not a ticket machine.

There was also a note that pre-activated oyster cards were now
obtainable so even the initial tube/tramstop vistit was not needed.
==

--
Mike D