Old October 17th 06, 07:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] ashinmaracaibo@gmail.com is offline

Default Oyster Card Users - info on incomplete journeys

Mizter T wrote:
My sympathies go out to LU ticket office staff who'll be on the
receiving end of many angry words from irate passengers.

The poster does say something like "98% of Londerners use their Oyster
properly. Are you part of the 2% that don't?" - which is a good way of
putting the point across.

This de-facto 'penalty' for incomplete journeys does plug a hole in the
Oyster system. But there will inevitably be much frustration and
frothing to come.

Tell me about it, the thing is that inevitably someone with an
incomplete journey cannot understand what they did wrong. The basic
thing people need to learn is there's more to successfully touching in
or out than waving your Oyster in the air in the approximate vicinity
of the reader. It must beep at you once, and will show you on the
screen that it has been successful. If it makes an angry three beeps,
it didn't work.

I think the second main offence with them is people who have
difficulty, but the person behind is in a big rush and put their card
down, letting the first person through without using their own card
properly.

Still, once all the rabid arguments calm down, hopefully it'll prove to
be a better system overall.