Old October 18th 06, 09:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default Oyster Card Users - info on incomplete journeys

On 18 Oct 2006 09:01:39 -0700, wrote:

I've read through all 40 posts (I've never seen such activity on an
internet thread I started!) and don't think this has been mentioned.
Additional to the £4.00 charge for incomplete journeys, Oyster cards
will now require either a valid season ticket, OR a minimum of £5
credit or they will not function. I believe this is a reaction to the
fact people would stick £1.00 on the card as minimum fare that would
open the gates, then worry about their negative balance later
(something that contradicts the Conditions of Carriage).

Surely that is what the £3 deposit is supposed to cover?

If there's a £5 credit minimum, that effectively increases the deposit
from £3 to £8. I can't see any possible justification for this. I bet
someone at TfL has calculated £5 x (number of PAYG cards issued) and
started rubbing their hands.