Old October 20th 06, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Call for Music Free London Buses

wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
I agree with him completely - I don't mind relatively loud
headphone-wearers or spirited conversation, but this new trend is
something that really riles. Of course one can - and indeed I have -
ask politely for it to be turned off, but such requests are often met
with an uncooperative response. If there was a well advertised rule
against this then that would help a great deal. I've just scanned the
TfL conditions of carriage and I can't find any existing rule that
deals with this.

Any future rule should of course deal with other non-mobile devices
that could have the same functionality.

I too hate this, especially working at a station and kids turn up (well
lets face it, its not adults is it?) and blast the latest generic r&b
at you before nipping behind the footbridge for a cigarette. Of course
its my job to ask them to stop the music (and to stop smoking on the
station...) both of which are met with absolute disdain and disrespect.

That's the thing - it's not like the music is even any good, it is as
you say just the latest generic R&B to come out off the mass production
line, each track having had as much individual care paid to it as the
average tic-tac. In fact that analogy's crap - at least tic-tacs
freshen your breath.

I was once on a bus where two young guys were dissecting some 50-cent
tune where he talks about his life. Yes they were playing it out,
though it wasn't too loud and the bus wasn't at all busy - but on this
occasion the intensity and thought they put into discussing it was
fascinating to overhear. I'm not advocating that musical dissection
masterclasses happen on buses all over London, but if only everyone
were to pay this kind of attention to the music they listen to that
music might be a lot better - instead they prefer some moody tune to go
along with their moody attitude. Fools.