Old October 21st 06, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
nospam nospam is offline

Default Paul from SafeSpeed on BBC Breakfast today on Driving Offence Cameras

"David from Oz" wrote:

Since my box junction offence fine (from the North Circular documented
on these groups) I have been extra vigilant to ensure I do not commit
further offences.

How many further offences did you intend to commit before you got fined? I
mean were you aiming at 4 or 5 a week and now that is down to zero or
something?

Apparently you were driving around with spare vigilance which you are now
applying to avoid minor traffic offences, don't you think that spare
vigilance would be better applied avoiding something of more consequence
like crashing and running over pedestrians?

So yes enforcement and fines will cause persistent offenders to change
their behaviour. Everyone else will carry on making the occasional mistake
but now they will get ****ed off, poorer, and probably more dangerous as
they devote a disproportionate amount of attention to avoiding offences of
little consequence.

Is it worth doing? It depends of how many persistent offenders there are
and what problem they cause, I'm very doubtful.

The only sure thing is offences will be committed, and enough revenue will
be generated to pay for the enforcement and turn a profit.

It would be more effective to not penalise drivers for making an occasional
mistake, say to notify but not fine them for the first 2 offences in any 12
month period. Persistent offenders would change their behaviour for the
better and the large majority would not have to change their behaviour for
the worse. Of course it will never happen because such a scheme would
generate far less income and the authorities like to **** off motorists
anyway.