Old October 10th 03, 07:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Martin Rich Martin Rich is offline

Default Britains Crap Roads, Answers wanted

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 20:49:56 +0000 (UTC), "Oliver Keating"
wrote:

The tube is the only viable transport option for a large city. Even the
car-loving Americans know this - New York city has no underground motorways
in the centre, but does have an extensive subway system.

The only example I can think of where underground motorways have been
built on a big scale recently in a major city is the Boston 'big dig',
which has itself been fraught with problems, and is in a city which
remains very dependent on public transport in the centre (somebody
else has made the same point since I drafted this message).

The original poster said that 'public transport is not the answer' -
but the fact is that most journeys into Central London are by public
transport. Like many car owners in London, I usually leave my car at
home or at a tube station somewhere when I'm going into the centre.
Better to concentrate investment in roads further out of London where
people are more likely to use their cars

Martin