Old October 22nd 06, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Firework Danger at Heathrow?

Colin wrote:
The fireworks were exploding all over the area. There was certainly
no attempt at an 'exclusion zone' along the glide slope, so there
was the potential for rockets to actually hit the planes.

At this particular point prior to landing the planes are about
400-500ft above the ground. Rockets explode between 300 and 800ft
in general. So if there are no controls there is of course a chance
they could hit a plane.

According to www.fireworksafety.co.uk rockets on sale to the general
public reach 40-120 m, roughly 130-395 ft. The CAA don't seem as
concerned as you, issuing only *guidance*, and only for organisers of
major displays. I suggest you write to them (CAA) if you're concerned.

But apart from hitting a plane, there is the much higher
probability of fireworks distracting a pilot on final approach.

The police weren't stopping the fireworks which were going off
around here well after midnight last night (in breach of the new
law).

The new law (The Fireworks Regulations 2004) allows fireworks to
continue until 01:00 on the night of Diwali (and similarly for New
Year's Eve and the Chinese New Year, and until midnight on 5th
November).

--
Richard J.