Old October 22nd 06, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default Paul from SafeSpeed on BBC Breakfast today on Driving OffenceCameras

TripleS wrote:
I don't know about that one way or the other, because I pay little
attention to the figures. This is far from ideal but I so distrust the
statistics (wherever they come from) that I merely base my opinions on
my own observations of how things seem to be working and my own
instincts for what is right.

That's not very scientific, but it's all I can offer.

*not at all scientific*, and probably the worst possible way of
learning about the world, especially things and events that are rare.

If they don't happen to you, you'll decide they never happen.
If they do, you'll think they happen more than they do.

One of the main benefits of civilization is that people can learn from
others' mistakes, and not just their own. The main benefit of
statistics is that they can be used to spot the difference between one
in a million and one in a thousand.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as