Old October 23rd 06, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london
D A Stocks D A Stocks is offline

Default Rail network in London to adopt zonal fares

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 08:19:01 +0100, Phil Richards
wrote:

Neil Williams wrote:

Plus the scenario when the bus gets terminated short of the destination
advertised on the blinds on the front at the time you boarded! I know
drivers are supposed to issue a transfer ticket, but I'm not sure that
happens often in practice. So if using PAYG Oyster you lose out by
paying for a 2nd ride.

I was on a 24 on Thursday and got booted off at Trafalgar Square as the
route controller decided our bus was to turn at Westminster. There was
another bus behind running through but it was only when someone said "do
we have to pay again" that the controller instructed everyone from the
previous bus just to get on and not validate or pay. No transfer ticket
was issued that I could see. I think this aspect of PAYG "policy" needs
a little more explanation because a transfer may happen at a point where
there is no official to answer a question and the first bus may have
driven off.

When this happened to me (an 8 that terminated at Berkeley Sq.) I validated
on the next bus and wasn't charged. ISTR the validator displayed a weird
message - something about a travelcard, even though I *only* have PAYG on my
card.

David A Stocks