Old October 23rd 06, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
TripleS TripleS is offline

Default Paul from SafeSpeed on BBC Breakfast today on Driving OffenceCameras

Colin McKenzie wrote:
TripleS wrote:
I don't know about that one way or the other, because I pay little
attention to the figures. This is far from ideal but I so distrust
the statistics (wherever they come from) that I merely base my
opinions on my own observations of how things seem to be working and
my own instincts for what is right.

That's not very scientific, but it's all I can offer.

*not at all scientific*, and probably the worst possible way of learning
about the world, especially things and events that are rare.

Nonsense. Given sufficient experience one can form a reasonable view of
how things are. If that is inadequate for your purposes ignore it by
all means, but it doesn't mean that what I'm saying is totally invalid.

In any case, so far as driving is concerned, what does your experience
amount to?

If they don't happen to you, you'll decide they never happen.

Nonsense. I draw no such conclusion.

If they do, you'll think they happen more than they do.

Nonsense. I draw no such conslusion.

One of the main benefits of civilization is that people can learn from
others' mistakes, and not just their own. The main benefit of statistics
is that they can be used to spot the difference between one in a million
and one in a thousand.

That's more like it, so long as the statistics are reasonably reliable. :-)

Best wishes all,
Dave.