Old October 23rd 06, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Earl Purple Earl Purple is offline

Default Paul from SafeSpeed on BBC Breakfast today on Driving Offence Cameras

David from Oz wrote:
..
Since my box junction offence fine (from the North Circular documented
on these groups) I have been extra vigilant to ensure I do not commit
further offences.

Actually that was discussed on uk.legal and it was questioned whether
you had committed an offence at all as you were waiting to turn right
onto the A406 Eastbound and the exit was presumably not blocked at the
time you entered the box. The only question was whether there was one
box or two.

I used to go ahead, U-turn then turn left. Was always a much quicker
way to get through that junction.

If they really wanted to reduce congestion at that junction then the
options a

1. (Preferable). Back to the original plans.
2. Ban all right turns at that junction. Traffic wishing to head for
the A406 Eastbound from there should find an alternative route. This
might be achieved with a U-turning area in Bowes Road.
3. One way system along Telford Road, Bowes Road, Green Lanes and
Bounds Green Road. Not sure how feasible that would be.

The problem with a box junction can be:

- do you really only enter when the exit is clear or when you predict
the exit will be clear? In free-flowing traffic, for example, but the
car in front hasn't got to the other end yet.

- What do you do then if there would be room but the car in front
stopped just after they had cleared the junction, rather than moving
into the space in front? You know what some are like in traffic queues
with their enormous gaps.