Old October 23rd 06, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Stratford Regional

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:37:31 +0100, Dave Arquati
wrote:

Peter Masson wrote:
"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message
Paul Scott wrote:

and an additional westbound Central line
platfom allowing exit on both sides of the train.
Presumably the best way they can see to reduce overcrowding on the 3-5
island. On the NR side the platform space is scarily narrow and very
difficult to move along at peak hours.

It looks as though it will give much better interchange from the westbound
Central Line to DLR (to Poplar, etc, when DLR moves to its new platforms),
Jubilee Line, DLR (Stratford International - Canning Town line) and buses,
while retaining good interchange from the Shenfield line to the Central
Line.

This must be the first LU example of two platform faces for capacity
reasons rather than for terminating trains (DLR already offering both
intentions in the same station at Canary Wharf).

Being unfamiliar with Stratford, I'm trying to understand the level
changes in the diagram. My impression from the diagrams is that
currently access to the Jubilee line is directly from the existing
ticket hall, but access to the current NLL/new DLR cannot be, because
the tracks pass over the hall. So how do you reach the new DLR platforms?

Err the new DLR Platforms (I assume you mean those to Bow Church) will
be reached off the existing mezzanine level which you use if you exit
the Jubilee Line and wish to reach the street. You go through the
interchange gateline, up the escalator / steps turn right, go over the
current NLL tracks / future DLR Stratford International line and then
down steps and out via the perimeter gateline.

The NLL line tracks currently split the main ticket hall from the
Jubilee Line and when heading north run through the middle of the
station in a box. It is an unusual arrangement.

Those drawings look fairly similar to some early schemes I saw at work
that showed how the Stratford City Development would fit in round the
existing station. I had not seen the proposed extra Central Line
platform but was aware of where it would be - this is essentially an
Olympics issue due to capacity and congestion concerns. I think there
are concerns about dwell times being longer in normal operation than now
so whether it helps overall Central Line capacity is maybe a moot point.

The extra mezzanine ticket hall next to the platform 3A is new to me -
the very dispersed nature of the ticket halls in this station is going
to make it very expensive to operate if there have to be staff at all
locations.
--
Paul C