Old October 23rd 06, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Stratford Regional

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:22:49 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .

It is very odd to see trains effectively travelling through the middle
of a ticket hall but given the position of the Jubilee Line tracks there
was little option. Believe me we went through many, many variants of
Stratford's design when it was at the detailed planning stage.
--
Paul C

Do you know how/why they come up with the idea of having to pass through two
gatelines to reach the Jubilee line from the street entrance?

runs away and screams

There was a policy decision that said the JLE was to be gated off from
other lines (where feasible). Originally Stratford was going to have a
completely separate route from the street level ticket hall to the JL
platforms. The route where the interchange gateline would only have been
accessible from BR / DLR / Central Line platforms.

I think LU was unable to secure the land to construct the bridge link to
provide the street to JL unique link (I think Railtrack were being
particularly awkward) so we ended up with the mezzanine "up and over"
design. We argued like hell about the interchange gateline as it is
unique - it took a long time for people to realise the coding and
validation issues it would create. However once it was drawn on the
architect's plan it was going to be built.

And as for plans drawn up for other locations to create the same
"barriered off from everything" approach you would not believe the
nonsenses we had to deal with.

I still disagree with the idea to this day!
--
Paul C