Old October 23rd 06, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default Stratford Regional

Mizter T wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

There was a policy decision that said the JLE was to be gated off from
other lines (where feasible). Originally Stratford was going to have a
completely separate route from the street level ticket hall to the JL
platforms. The route where the interchange gateline would only have been
accessible from BR / DLR / Central Line platforms.

How would this have worked for the North London Line northbound?

Regarding the discussion in another thread - having "internal
gatelines" such as at Stratford could arguably address some (but only
some) of the issues which will be encountered when PAYG is fully rolled
out on NR, though it would by no means be a complete solution and would
only be practical at some locations. In fact it would be a mess and
very impractical.

Indeed - look no further than the rest of Stratford. Any attempt to even
paint a "this PAYG territory" line would be so utterly messy. As it's the
station I usually use to enter the tube network it's no wonder I find the
Oyster "always touch in at the start and touch out at the end of 'your
journey'" system a mess.

Currently by my reckoning the only journeys where an interchange at
Stratford can change the number of zones used is travelling from the Central
Line east of Stratford to the District in zone 3 or further east. You can
either have a direct interchange at Mile End (zone 2) or travel via
Stratford to West Ham (all zone 3). The existance of the North London Line
for this route, with PAYG valid there, means that at the moment the barriers
are nominally meaningless and I believe the PAYG fare assumes zone 3
interchanges. But when the NLL is cut back to Stratford one will *only* be
able to avoid zone 2 on that route if you go through those gates - could TfL
operate this as a tester to see if the system can recognise different routes
at different prices?