Old October 24th 06, 07:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Newt Dave Newt is offline

Default "Khyber Pass" opens tomorrow

wrote:
Dave Plumb wrote:
I never really understood why we keep left in corridors and right on
escalators. Must confuse the hell out of the tourists.

ISTR reading somewhere that it's because most people are right-handed,
so naturally use their right hand to steady themselves on an escalator.
But I could be wrong.

You walk on the left in corridors.

You walk on the left on escalators.

It's the same. (It's the definition of "keep" which changes.)

Having said all that, there are plenty of corridors and stairs on LUL
that don't say "Keep Left" and some which actually say "Keep Right".