Old October 25th 06, 01:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tristán White Tristán White is offline

Default Stratford to North Woolwich

wrote in
ups.com:

Its a great shame that a useful rail link is being closed. When I
travel on it, it often seems fairly full, certainly there are less
well used routes.

SNIP

I agree with you 100%. Though word of warning, when I made this comment
here a few months back I got flamed to buggery :-)) The
"Slitherlink" doesn't appear to have too many fans on UTL for some
reason.

The worse thing is that it's going to take a while for the Stratford to
City Airport DLR to be completed, meaning that for those living near eg
Hackney Central, they would need to get the Silverlink to Stratford, the
Jubilee to Canning Town and the DLR to City Airport.

Personally, as a local resident, I'd have liked them improve the
Silverlink service throughout the entire line (which they're going to
be doing anyway between Richmond and Stratford) and dispense with the
DLR idea from Stratford to Canning Town altogether.

(a) it's not needed what with the Jubilee and the Silverlink, and West
Ham underground station serves the population well enough re those who
live on eg Abbey Road.

(b) by not building it, and simply having more trains on the Silverlink,
people will not have to change trains if going from eg Canning Town to
Camden, or Hackney to Silvertown (City Airport). Or rather, they CAN
change in Canning Town to the DLR (providing they don't have a bike).
And there will be no "downtime".

Changing trains with luggage isn't always a good idea anyway.

Also, another bit of history down the pan. I know I came out with all
this ******** when the Shoreditch bit of the ELL closed, but it's true.
Always sad to see lines and routes disappear, even if they are going to
be replaced a few years later by a shiny driverless version.

I recently read "Maid in West Ham", a sweet autobiography about a young
girl growing up in the Cody Road area of Canning Town during World War
II, near the railway lines.
http://www.britishexpat.com/History_...In_W.61.0.html

It's all changing.....

now, where's my slippers..........