Old October 25th 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Do cabbies own the road?

Earl Purple wrote:

Boltar wrote:
This morning I saw a black cab do a u-turn on a busy 4 lane road. And
not for the first time.

Doing a U-turn is a legal manoeuvre, unless there is a no-U-turn sign.
Unlike most drivers, taxis do not know where they are going to go when
they start their journey.

I didn't see a no u turn sign on this road but I reckon its a safe bet
theres
one hidden somewhere given he was blocking one lane of traffic and
sticking out into oncoming. Hardly safe.

Taxis are allowed to stop in red routes to pick up a fare. Obviously

So a red route is No Stopping At Any Time (unless you're a cabbie
and then its no problem , block the traffic for as long as you like
mate)?
So what makes cabbies exempt? Plenty of other people have to drive
in london for a living. Why shouldn't we permit delivery drivers,
couriers
and so forth to stop too? They need is probably even greater than the
cabbies since they can't just drive further on and drop the delivery
off
somewhere else.

cut up other drivers, jump red lights and almost run down some pedestrians.

True that those are not permitted.

Nice to know.

B2003