Old October 25th 06, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default New online "Single fare finder" for Tube & DLR

Dave Arquati wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
Mizter T wrote:

Nicholas wrote:

On 18 Oct 2006 15:40:51 -0700, in uk.transport.london you wrote:

Just noticed that TfL has launched a new facility on the fares section
of their website - a "Single fare finder".

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tickets/fare-finder/

You input your start and finish station - the fares finder is replete
with a javascript auto-complete function - then select adult or child
and and click on "Show fares".
Interesting, looking at the fares from stations such as West Brompton.

West Brompton - South Kensingtonis a Z1&2 journey, but is only
charged as a Z1 single - £1.50 (at all times).

However West Brompton - Sloane Square is also a Z1&2 journey but is
charged as the Z1&2 single - £2 (peak).

Presumably this is an example of the 'short journey' fares (or
whatever they are called) for stations near the Z1 boundary.

Nicholas

Most interesting. I was under the impression that 'short journey' fares
were a thing of the past, and wasn't aware that 'short journey' fares
were ever implemented on Oyster PAYG.

I'm not convinced that this isn't just a mistake in the database - but
I'm most willing to be proven wrong on that!

Err, on further investigation I'm increasingly proving myself wrong!
That is, if this fare finder is telling the truth...
(All examples below are peak PAYG fares as quoted the single fare
finder.)

Every journey between stations bounded by West Brompton, West Ken,
South Ken and High Street Ken (Barbie's 'chav' boyfriend who hangs
around outside McDonald's on the High Street on saturdays) apparently
costs £1.50 despite the fact that many cross the zonal frontier.

The following journeys also reputedly cost £1.50 despite the fact they
take in zones 1 and 2:

-----
Stockwell - Pimlico
Kennington - Charing Cross/Bank

Highbury & Islington - KXSP
Kentish Town/Chalk Farm - Warren Street

Bethnal Green - Bank
Stepney Green - Liverpool Street/Tower Hill

Swiss Cottage - Baker Street
Maida Vale - Baker Street
Kilburn Park - Edgware Road
-----

I could go on. But I won't. Perhaps someone will be kind enough to
provide the LU definition of a 'short journey' so we can all share in
the secret!

I also used to do a Holland Park to/from Gloucester Road journey at the
short fare charge, and Gloucester Road to Fulham Broadway and High St
Ken to Fulham Bdy are also both short-hop fares.

My original guess was that you were allowed two stops inside one zone
and one stop inside another, but that doesn't always work - as someone
else, said, it might be distance-based. I'll see if I find the reasoning
at work tomorrow.

--
Dave Arquati

Dave, you do realise what you're letting yourself in for by saying
things such as that, it's practically begging for trouble! Before you
know it you'll be regarded as a conduit between the mysterious
other-world of Windsor House and this rabble-rousing group, our guide
to the realm through the looking glass ;-)