Old October 27th 06, 05:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Interesting cab ride...

On 27 Oct 2006 08:29:14 -0700, "istrebityel"
wrote:

(What follows is quite a long story, and contains four letter words in
abundance, but I just had to share what happened the night before last
(Weds 25th October). Please also note that what I'm describing here is
not the actions of some dodgy minicab driver from a backstreet cab
office, but of one of London's supposedly professional Black Cab taxi
drivers. Another warning about the language that follows; every word
is true, but if you're at all likely to be offended, don't read on.)

[snip]

Luckily I've never had an experience like this before (most other
cabbies I've ever travelled with have been excellent), though next time
I flag one down I'll certainly take a careful look who's driving. And
if ever you're on High Holborn late on a Wednesday night, just pray you
don't run into him yourselves...

Nothing about your experience is acceptable practice for people
responsible for safe conduct of a vehicle, the safety of their
passengers or provision of a public transport service.

I would report the driver to the PCO without hesitation as he started
the episode not you. His response and demeanour are such that I would
consider him of unsuitable temperament to drive a taxi - regardless of
whether he had had a long and stressful day behind the wheel. That's
part of the job and people should either be able to cope or else know
when to take a breather before carrying passengers. I don't condone
your response but I do understand it as you were clearly provoked.
There is no reason for you to feel disadvantaged in the context of a
complaint providing you provide all of the facts.

The episode is particularly galling given the way in which the licensed
taxi trade set themselves up as somehow "better" and "safer" than
minicabs. This example appears to show the opposite.
--
Paul C