Old October 27th 06, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dr Ivan D. Reid Dr Ivan D. Reid is offline

Default TfL's curious streetlamps

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 18:19:04 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote in :
I *think* this curious question may be related to transport ...

Our local part of the South Circular had new streetlamps fitted by TfL
about a year ago. The lamp posts have two brackets (presumably for
hanging, say, "London Olympics" banners); the lamp housings are circular
and on the top of each is raised dome. I thought nothing of the latter
until, getting up early a few days ago, I looked out of our loft window
and saw that the domes are actually skyward-pointing bright blue lights
that were illuminated on this one occasion.

It seems to be the "done thing" to illuminate everything with blue
LEDs, now that they are available -- the refurbished Students' Onion building
at Brunel has them for no obvious reason.

Does anyone know what these lamps are for? The South Circular through
Putney and East Sheen is pretty much exactly on one of the incoming
Heathrow flight-paths ... but surely they wouldn't be some kind of
landing lights, as we are about 9 miles away from Heathrow.

...but you weren't supposed to be looking at that moment. Watch out
for black helicopters!

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. ] Room 40-1-B12, CERN