Old October 28th 06, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Zara Henderson Zara Henderson is offline

Default Do cabbies own the road?

"Mike Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Zara Henderson
How do you know what hours I work? you pompous oaf, A taxi drivers duty is
to serve the general public the anti social hours come with the
territory,if
you do not wish to work these hours then their are tens of thousands of
Eastern European immigrants who will,my six year old can read a Sat Nav,
so
driving a minicab/black cab is hardly an occupation that taxes the brain
is
it.

OK I'll bite. Let's get this right. A licensed London *taxi* (black cab)
does require a great deal of 'knowledge' which does indeed tax the brain.
Most *taxi* drivers take on average 3 years to get their licence. During
this time their brain expands in an area known as the hypocampus which is
an area associated with learning and sense of direction. This has been
confirmed by MRI scans at, amongst others, University College Hospital.

Driving a Private Hire (minicab) does not require a knowledge test. Inmost
cases they can get you to your destination, even if it is by a round about
route, but I know of one recent case where a minicab driver using sat nav
just couldn't get his passengers to their destination because the roads
around Trafalgar Square had all been closed off (cycle race or something)
and every time he diverted it tried to send him back the same way.
Eventually the customers stopped a '*proper* taxi who got then to their
destination within 15 minutes - after they'dalready spent nearly 4 (yes 4)
hours trying to get there with aid of a sat nav!

Please do your research before coming out with statements such as that

My "research "into using Black Taxis comes as a fare paying customer,& in my
line of work I frequently have to take cabs to the City of London & I do
notice that drivers have to either refer to an AtoZ or use a Sat Nav because
they do not know many of the streets & major business establishments in the
financial sector,as for the Knowledge of London it is now an anachronism &
should be scrapped,most cabbies in London did not enter higher education so
the brain expanding in an area known as the "hippocampus" is probably
brought about because it is first time they have ever had to use their
brains for anything at all.

The correct spelling is "Hippocampus" not hypocampus please do not patronise
me remember you are a mere cabby a job that is regarded by new immigrants as
a "first step" occupation an intelligent chimpanzee could do your job.