Old October 29th 06, 09:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Oyster - Meant to make your life easier??!

Paul Corfield wrote:
On 28 Oct 2006 17:21:31 -0700, "MIG"
wrote:

So don't impose the punishments for not using Oyster until it has been
implemented.

I do not understand why you see the rules of using Oyster as being a
punishment. It's simple enough - touch in and touch out. There have to
be incentives to make sure that people do these simple tasks otherwise
we might as well have free travel everywhere.

With hindsight the concept of the high charge for non validation should
have been introduced at the start of PAYG not now. The howls of
complaint are only coming because people have got used to a more lenient
system which, if exploited, results in fraud.

What about the £4 singles and extensions for people who live near NR
or DLR and have paper tickets? Aren't they punishment for not using a
system which is not fully available? To me they are. The reasons why
I have ended up with unresolved journeys are entirely to do with this
(ie when I haven't got time to leave and reenter a station half way
through my journey because, believe it or not, I was travelling because
I needed to get somewhere).

Maybe there is a ticket stop selling Oyster somewhere in the opposite
direction from the local station (often there isn't), but why should I
be punished for turning up at my local station and paying my fare in
the most available way?