Old October 29th 06, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
BH Williams BH Williams is offline

Default Class 450 PA System "Hacked"

"Tom Robinson" wrote in message
On 28 Oct 2006 20:56:09 -0700, "D7666" wrote:

Tom Robinson wrote:

an iTrip device or similar which allows you to broadcast on FM,

An iTrip is plausible. It just could be possible it was not a
deliberate hack but the perpetrators discovered it accidentally.

Probably, but more likely to be on a previous occasion, as this one
seemed quite "prepared" - they had some way of playing their own voice
as well.

I thought (with my telecoms engineer hat on) iTrips were not yet legal
in the UK and are still subject to Ofcom consultation not complete
until end of 2006.

Having said that, they are on sale in UK, and (not sure) I think I read
somewhere they carry CE marks which sort of makes them European legal
(cue pedantic discussion UK v. EU law).

AFAIK they are still illegal to use in the UK, but I expect there's a
fair few places you can buy them. If not it would probably be easy to
get one shipped from the US.

--
to respond via email, visit:
http://tinyurl.com/e48z9

Perhaps these were the items in an advert for one of the electronics
retailers in the papers last week, which carried a disclaimer along the
lines of 'it is not yet legal to use these items in the UK'?
Brian