Old October 29th 06, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Matt Wheeler Matt Wheeler is offline

Default Class 450 PA System "Hacked"

"Olof Lagerkvist" wrote in message
BH Williams wrote:

"Olof Lagerkvist" wrote in message

D7666 wrote:

Having said that, they are on sale in UK, and (not sure) I think I
read
somewhere they carry CE marks which sort of makes them European
legal
(cue pedantic discussion UK v. EU law).

The CE mark does not make them legal, it is just a guarantee from
the manufacturer that they are legal in the EU. The real difference
is that if they in fact are illegal the manufacturer is held
responsible and not the consumer/user.

Surely the CE mark simply indicates that they conform to the
norms/standards applicable to their construction, and has no
bearing on their legality or illegality in use?

AFAIK it is legal when it conforms to the CE standards. It would not
have become a CE standard unless the entire EU has accepted it as a
legal-to-use construction. But I may have got this part wrong,
anyone knows more about CE marks?

Found this link http://www.ce-marking.org/what-is-ce-marking.html
which says the CE mark indicates a product confirms to EU
regulations/legislation on Health, Safety and environmental
protection.