Old November 1st 06, 07:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul G Paul G is offline

Default F&*&%^& toilets

In message . 145,
Tristán White writes
I think it is outrageous that they close the toilets so early. I paid
for those toilets out of my taxes, but they can't be bothered to man
them after about 8 o'clock. And it's after then when they're most
needed, after the pubs.

A slightly more accurate statement is that you pay (out of your taxes)
for the toilets to be manned between the times they are opened. So if
you want them to be opened longer then that's an additional financial
requirement.

I wonder whether pay-for-use toilets on the underground would be more
likely to avoid the attentions of the anti-social contingent? Fenchurch
Street toilets are always busy regardless of the fact that there are
toilets on board every train.

For what it's worth I sympathise entirely however! Luck of the drawer
how good one's bladder is and I understand (from talking to friends)
that it can even make one reconsider one's evening plans depending on
the availability of facilities.

I believe central government removed the requirement of local
authorities to maintain public toilets in the 1980s 9as a cash saving
measure), but I could be wrong in this (it may just be in 1980s local
councils realised that there was no statutory requirement to provide
public toilets). Certainly something along those lines!