Old October 10th 03, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Darryl Chamberlain Darryl Chamberlain is offline

Default Crossrail preferred route

(Gary Jenkins) wrote in message . com...

Does anyone have any suggestions for improving transport in the
Cinderella parts of SE London? Would it be a realistic long-term
project to lobby for a new tube line starting say at Sidcup and
running through Eltham, Kidbrooke and Charlton to link with the
Jubilee at North Greenwich or Canary Wharf and then continue through
Hackney to finish at Finsbury Park or Tottenham Hale? This would
greatly improve transport links to Docklands and really help shift
London's centre of gravity to the East.

Some random thoughts...

Making sure everyone from Eltham/Kidbrooke *didn't* to crawl up to
North Greenwich would be a start, although this seems to be the way
Greenwich Council wants it. The bus network up to North Greenwich
cannot cope with the number of people who use it already, without
bringing in more buses from more areas.

If the Bakerloo Line wasn't so packed, I'd suggest extending the
Bakerloo Line out from the Elephant towards Lewisham and Eltham and
beyond. Or how about simply improving the current rail services? I'm
amazed no-one has put more capacity in at London Bridge, and that
Borough Market still stands.

Thamesmead needs a heavy rail connection to central London of its own,
not a weedy bus/tram link to Woolwich or Greenwich. I'd suggest
running a branch off the C2C line from Fenchurch Street to Barking/
Upminster to create a fast link to the City. Is there the room for
such a thing?

Darryl