Old November 2nd 06, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster - Meant to make your life easier??!

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 04:08:03AM +0000, David of Broadway wrote:

(I'm ignoring day Travelcards, which, if I understand correctly, will be
phased out once Oyster deployment is complete.)

That would certainly be a backward step, when you can currently get one
day travelcards from places at least as far away as Brighton.

Similarly, railway tickets from (eg) Llanfairpwll to Dover include the
underground fare. Are the Oyster fanboys seriously suggesting that
Brighton, Llanfairpwll and Dover should all have Oystery things so that
they can cope with TfL's crazy scheme?

If you want to seriously reduce fraud, install gates at the stations
that don't have them.

I realize that there are practical difficulties. In my opinion, that's
a choice that needs to be made: find some way to fully gate the entire
system or live with the reality that some people will occasionally evade
the fare.

If you want to seriously reduce fraud, use ticket inspectors. I have
*never* seen one on a tube, almost never on suburban trains, and only
once on a bendy bus.

One person can change the world, but most of the time they shouldn't
-- Marge Simpson