Old November 3rd 06, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tristán White Tristán White is offline

Default Questions on the 2016 London Transport map esp the trams

"John Rowland" wrote in
:

Tristán White wrote:

http://www.crossriverpartnership.org/page.asp?id=1236

Are all these trams going to share the road like in the old days, and
like you have in most of Europe eg Prague, or are they going to be in
a sort of raised lane just for the trams?

The entire length of the Cross River Transit will have two dedicated
or nearly-dedicated tracks: nearly dedicated, in so far as only local
access traffic will be allowed in. If you cunningly alternate sections
where cars are only allowed to share the northbound track with
sections where cars are only allowed to share the southbound track,
you end up with cars still able to get to all of the side roads, but
the tram route is no longer of any use to through traffic. Tram
sensors will control all of the traffic lights which allow the local
access cars onto the tracks, so that nothing should hold the trams up.
The only place the trams won't have complete control of everything is
where the route crosses the Euston Road.

Excellent. I was hoping you'd be able to give a good answer!

I'm really looking forward to trams being a major part of the city. Far
greener and more punctual than buses, a nicer way to see the city
compared to the tubes, and there's something romantic about a tram -
perhaps it's because there are trams in all those romantic cities in
Europe, perhaps it's because of all those wonderful Black and White
films in America before General Motors took it upon themselves to pretty
much destroy the tram industry in the USA in the 40s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...car_conspiracy if you
haven't got a clue what I'm on about...

I know Cross River will be using Waterloo Bridge, but what about the
other crossings of the other trams? Above or below the river? The new
Thames Gateway bridge? And the crossing to Kinsgston?

Looking (again) at my local map of my area 1893 (Greengate, near
Plaistow) I see there used to be a massive tram depot off Jedburgh Road
- what is now the Spectacle Works. How brilliant.