Old November 5th 06, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
AstraVanMan AstraVanMan is offline

Default Do national rail tickets work at Faringdon?

"Heracles Pollux" wrote:
...and then some black man in a blue hat
wouldn't let me out the other end without an argument...

And the significance of a "black" man is...?

His distinguishing features we

1. He was black.
2. He had a blue hat.

This is a bit like saying, "I saw a red car drive past". "He wore a white
shirt". "The leaves on the trees are golden".

Perhaps you would also like to infer that I have some prejudice (or
favourtism) towards red cars, since the colour of the car is an attribute
I and most people notice.

No, it simply appears that you're trying to [unsuccessfully] dig yourself
out of a hole you've stumbled across. If people specifically wanted to know
what the guy looked like, then his colour of skin, along with other
descriptors like his height/build, would be useful. But it was just
mentioned in passing, so why mention it? If he was a white man would you
have bothered to mention that he was white?

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."