Old November 5th 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
AstraVanMan AstraVanMan is offline

Default Do national rail tickets work at Faringdon?

"Heracles Pollux" wrote:
If people specifically wanted to
know what the guy looked like, then his colour of skin, along with other
descriptors like his height/build, would be useful.

Height: 6ft
Weight; 14 stone
Fitness: moderately over weight
Eye sight: poor, glasses
Hearing: poor
Language: working class poorly educated
Demeanour: confrontational, argumentative, unstable, unhelpful to the
travelling public, possbily racist against white people, possibly
prejudiced against suit wearing educated management grade travellers.
Smell: typically unsavoury of a privatised "public" sector worker.

Any other details you require?

Relevant ones would be good. A description of his general attitude and
demeanour would have been relevant, whereas anything describing his
appearance, from his skin colour to clothing, was completely unneccessary.

I think "black man in blue hat" was actually quite generous.

"Left wing racist working class smelly ill-educated jobsworth" would be
equally accurate.

And at least some of it more relevant.

"I was told to go to Victoria, admitted on the underground, and then some
black man in a blue hat wouldn't let me out the other end without an
argument."

Racist is guesswork on your part, smelly is irrelevant, "possibly prejudiced
against suit wearing educated management grade travellers" is just a chip
you seem to have on your shoulder, etc etc.

"Confrontational", "argumentative", and "unhelpful to the
travelling public" would all have been relevant, as would have "member of
station staff manning the ticket barriers".

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."