Old November 6th 06, 07:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default Cross River Tram Consultation

On 6 Nov 2006 04:47:09 -0800, wrote:

Tram lined up to link Camden with Brixton

Father Rob Wickham is the vicar at St Mary The
Virgin Church on Eversholt Street, which is also likely to be
affected. He said: "I am particularly concerned about funerals when
we are carrying the coffin in or out - that is the most solemn
moment and the thought of trams running past sounds ridiculous to
me."They will pass primary schools, secondary schools and umpteen
nurseries. We have had a real focus on making the ward safe for
children, and our work will be ruined. The community is formed by
people meeting on the pavements outside the schools and they
wouldn't be able to do that."

rest of ludicrous nonsensical ranting snipped

Are these people quite mad? Why is it worse for a tram to be going
past a funeral parlour than a bus? How on earth does a road with cars
on encourage people to chat on the pavements whilst a road with a tram
on prevents this?

Brill Place and Phoenix Road currently have no buses, and pretty much no
cars either.

Last time I looked, Eversholt Street had lots of both.

And there are plenty of bus routes in London that pass churches and
schools, but no sign of a campaign to have all the routes diverted to
avoid them.

No doubt there are even (shock, horror) tram routes across the country
that do the same.