Old November 11th 06, 10:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
jonmorris jonmorris is offline

Default Is TOX back?

Boltar wrote:
Or foreign ones. Surprise surprise theres a huge amount of polish
plates around london now not to mention latvian and lithuanian and the drivers
of these cars can just happily ignore speed cameras, the congestion
charge and anything else where traffic police have been replaced by cameras by
the bean counters.

Auto Express revealed a year or two ago about buying a car (this time
from France) and getting out of paying fines or the congestion charge.
In fact, they didn't even GET a ticket because no council would issue a
ticket on a foreign car. [Likewise, many foreign countries won't ticket
you either - but of course, they might still tow you or clamp you].

It used to be Dutch plates in north London, but now it's the plates you
mention (Polish particularly around Hatfield, although many of them ARE
at least driven by real Polish people). You can avoid insurance and
road tax too, so no wonder so many people are driving 'foreign' cars
(many RHD) and never registering them here.

The problem is the police aren't much more bothered than the
authorities. They don't want the hassle of stopping a foreigner, and
you can simply say you're over on holiday/borrowing the car with
permission. How will they know it's been here for 2 or 3 years (as a
few cars are that live very nearby)? Probably too much work, although
to be fair, I have read that they're going to be doing a few sting
operations to try and catch people - but how successful this might be
remains to be seen. One or two days out on a mini-roadblock isn't going
to have much of an impact.

Also these plates are now being used by locals since I saw some asians driving around in
a (right hand drive) car with polish plates the other day.

I'm sure you'll see a lot more when more people catch on about this
very easy scam. I guess we're not helping the situation by talking
about it here!

Jonathan