Old November 12th 06, 01:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] furles@mail.croydon.ac.uk is offline

Default Blackfriars Railway Bridge

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 wrote:

However, neither Camberwell nor Walworth Road is between Elephant and
Castle and Blackfriars, though; only Borough Road and Blackfriars Bridge
are.

Sorry, I meant between Herne Hill and Blackfriers. At one time trains
would split at Herne Hill, with one half going to Victoria, and the
other then then new city extension. Until about the '70s, the
illuminated train indicators on platforms 1&2 at Herne Hill could show
'VICTORIA' or 'CITY' The 'CITY' part was later changed to show, I
think' Blackfriers & Holborn Viaduct', or something similar. These
indicators were replaced in NSE days.

There were also platforms on the West curve at Loughborough Junction,
and on the main line at Clapham and Wandsworth Rooad.

I don't understand what you mean by "on the main line at Clapham and
Wandsworth Road"; i'm probably being very dense here, but the Holborn line
doesn't go anywhere near either of those roads ...

Today services towards Blackfriers run via Herne Hihh, Denmark Hill or
London Bridge, but there's a fourth route to reach it, which now has no
normal passenger service. The Victoria - Moorgate Street service
departed from the Chatham station at Victoria, I think it served
Clapham and Wandsworth Road, there were certainly main line platforms
at those stations at one time, and then took the curve at the Western
side of Loughborourgh Junction. There were platforms on this curve,
though no trace of them can be seen today. I think there were also
platforms on this line at Brixton, though these would have been very
close to those at Loughborough Junction, so I don't know if these
trains served both. After calling at Snow Hill these trains took the
now extinct Eastern curve to Aldersgate Street and Moorgate Street,
rather than the Western one to Farringdon. This service was withdrawn
during the war in 1916, and was never re-instated. Until the opening
of Thameslink these were the last regular passenger workings through
Snow Hill tunnel.