Old November 13th 06, 08:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Earl Purple Earl Purple is offline

Default Why can't you get a one day travelcard on Oyster?

Paul G wrote:
In message , Michael Hoffman
writes
This *must* have been discussed here before, but I've done some
searching on Google Groups and can't find the answer. Why doesn't TfL
sell a one day travelcard on Oyster, to be used by those who need to
travel on National Rail? It seems any of the arguments involving poor
Oyster facilities on NR would also apply to period travelcards. The
only thing I can think of is that it might confuse customers who can't
figure out the difference with capping.

I think the real reason (whether stated or not) is to stop people
queuing up on a daily basis just to buy 1 ticket; far most cost
effective (for the retailer) to get them to buy more than 1 ticket in
any transaction.

I know that people do still queue up to put on exactly one day's worth
of credit, but I'm willing to bet that quite a few (percentage wise)
have now got used to oyster and are prepared to buy a number of day's
worth of credit in any one go. "Incentivisation" by lack of alternative.

I think the OP would like to be able to just buy it from anywhere that
allows oyster top-up, so they wouldn't necessarily need to queue at a
station.

It would make sense to have such a facility available also by mobile
phone, for those who are not starting their journey near such a
facility.