Old November 13th 06, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
brixtonite brixtonite is offline

Default NLL Closure / DLR to Stratford International

Thanks. I guess the same will happen if you're going from Canning Town to
Stratford - which platform to go to.

No it won't be the same - the junctions are south of Canning Town, so
northbound trains will already have been seperated into Bank and Stratford -
you can only get over the Jubilee line from the high level (existing)
platforms. Think about the situation at Camden Town on the Northern line,
its just the same, with the complex crossings south of the station.

I think Tristan meant that you could take either the JLE or the DLR to
Stratford - and hence could go from two different platforms. But since
the Jubilee line has a high frequency and fewer stops than the DLR will
have there's probably no competition, except late at night etc when
there's a reduced service.

If there was room to the north of the station you could have had the
splitting junctions at either ends of the station, then all 4 platforms
could have a nominated destination.

hmm, that would have been ideal - I guess the A13 means the stratford
branch couldn't reach the current DLR platforms?

Whereas Camden
Town has the perfect solution: a nice board in the middle with the next
train clearly pointed out.

I certainly wouldn't call Camden Town perfect! Relying on electronic
boards (which can be, and often are, faulty) is not as good as an
island platform where you can wait in one place and be sure of getting
the first train. In fact whenever I've been at Camden I find myself
and dozens of others rushing from one platform to the other and then
back again in search of trains taking the right route.

(Although even an island platform as at Earl's court isn't great, since
there are often trains on both sides going the same way, with no sign
as to which will leave first)