Old November 15th 06, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Chris Read Chris Read is offline

Default Commuting from MKC - EUS

"allan tracy" wrote:

Well if (big if) you can ignore the fact that the whole place looks as
if it was planned by some Eastern European Communist Government then
actually it's not a bad place to live.

It's pretty safe compared to London, good shopping, very good train
service and even on the stopping Virgin trains (mostly from Brum) you
can usually get a seat.

Compared to London quality of life will be much improved, especially if
you have kids.

I know people have different ideas as to what constitutes quality of life,
but I think I would hate to live in MK.

Too far from the coast for whimsical day trips - certainly by public
transport.

Too far from genuinely outstanding or interesting countryside (sorry
Chilterns - South Downs/Lake District/Suffolk coast you ain't).

Paucity of cultural interest

Functional but uninspiring architecture

'Stepford wives' image of identikit population - deserved or otherwise.

For those after 'good schools', IIRC the Bucks selective system does not
extend to MK, hence a choice of bog standard comps which, when I last read
the school league tables, did not perform especially well.

I know it has good shops, but these days that's not much of a USP. Anyway,
my old fashioned view is that shopping is best conducted in a high street
with lots of hustle and bustle and traffic and noise, not a soulless mall.

Also, I would have thought selling a London property in echange for a
Milton Keynes one could a mean a significant upgrade.

But a much lower probability of market-beating price growth in the future.

Chris