Old November 18th 06, 12:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ernst S Blofeld Ernst S Blofeld is offline

Default Question on smoking in railway stations

Peter Frimberley wrote:
Unfortunately I think it will be enforced about as much as the ban on
the use of mobile phones whilst driving is, i.e. the odd show trial
but basically just another piece of law that'll be completely
forgotten about after a month or so.

Contrary to popular belief, and seemingly unknown to journalists,
Ireland first introduced legislation enabling restrictions on smoking
nearly twenty years ago. It was not fully enabled until the 1st January
1996, where it prohibited smoking in many public places including
waiting rooms in railway and bus stations. It was widely flouted and
rarely enforced.

The well known 2004 legislation in Ireland relates to smoking in the
*workplace*. It carries with it more weight than a generic public space
ban as it is effectively a right to a smoke-free environment at work.
This seems to be a more widely acceptable restriction although attitudes
to smoking have also changed somewhat since 1996.

As the UK legislation is an enclosed public space ban, I suspect you are
correct and it will not be supported or enforced as strongly as an
explicit workplace ban probably would.

ESB