Old October 11th 03, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJC CJC is offline

Default Crossrail preferred route

"Richard J." wrote in message ...
CJC wrote:
As for Crossrail, I believe Kingston is a good idea, personally I
would have the service divide into three in the West, assuming a 12tph
service in the central area, 4tph go to Aylesbury, 4tph to Reading,
and 4tph to Kingston.

It's supposed to be 24tph in the peak through the central area. Current
plans are 12tph to Richmond of which 4tph continue to Kingston, 6tph to
Heathrow, 6tph unspecified. The Aylesbury branch was dropped from Crossrail
plans some time ago.

Heahrow is already accommodated well enough in
my view.

I disagree. The Piccadilly is slow, cramped and often overcrowded. HEx only
goes to Paddington. If Heathrow is not to be utterly swamped by road
traffic when T5 opens (and, God forbid, if a third main runway is built),
then you must improve rail access. Note that Crossrail will *replace* HEx.

I didn't realise that Crossrail was going to replace HEx. The
Piccadilly Line should have been four-tracked from Northfields to
Heathrow when the extension to the airport was being built, the
District could have taken over the Uxbridge branch and fast and slow
services could have run from the airport on the piccadilly, fast
stopping at Acton and Hammersmith only.

A third runway is being built isn't it? On the news it said between
the M4 and A4.

Having 12tph to Richmond in my view is ridiculous, considering that
there are express services to London from there already. Having every
train through to Kingston would have made sense, or even coming off
the NLL at Kew Bridge and going via Brentford and Hounslow to
Kingston.