Old October 11th 03, 11:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Crossrail preferred route

"CJC" wrote in message
om...
"Richard J." wrote in message

CJC wrote:

Heahrow is already accommodated well enough in
my view.

I disagree. The Piccadilly is slow, cramped and often overcrowded. HEx

only
goes to Paddington. If Heathrow is not to be utterly swamped by road
traffic when T5 opens (and, God forbid, if a third main runway is

built),
then you must improve rail access. Note that Crossrail will *replace*

HEx.

I didn't realise that Crossrail was going to replace HEx. The
Piccadilly Line should have been four-tracked from Northfields to
Heathrow when the extension to the airport was being built, the
District could have taken over the Uxbridge branch and fast and slow
services could have run from the airport on the piccadilly, fast
stopping at Acton and Hammersmith only.

A third runway is being built isn't it? On the news it said between
the M4 and A4.

NO!!! One of the government's options is indeed to build a third main
runway, but those of us who live under its flight path are hoping that they
decide not to. It is NOT being built at present.

Having 12tph to Richmond in my view is ridiculous, considering that
there are express services to London from there already. Having every
train through to Kingston would have made sense, or even coming off
the NLL at Kew Bridge and going via Brentford and Hounslow to
Kingston.

Why is it ridiculous? There are no express services to central London from
Kew Gardens, Gunnersbury and Turnham Green. For those stations, Richmond is
a convenient terminal operationally, and Crossrail will provide new fast
links from there to various parts of central London north of the Thames,
hence reducing pressure on Waterloo and the tube links from there.
--
Richard J.