Old November 25th 06, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Updated (ATOC) Staff Guide to Oyster (long)

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 11:31:47 +0000, Ken Wheatley
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:40:02 +0000, Barry Salter
wrote:

*I have only £2 on my card and cannot use the system*

You can use the system so long as the £2 covers your intended fare. If
you travel beyond the value of £2 you may be liable to a Penalty Fare.

Is this right? A couple of months ago LUL were continually announcing
that you would need at least £4 before you could enter the system.

Neither are correct unless there is a particular rule for NR Stations. I
provided an explanation in a recent post but here it is again.

You must have the minimum fare on your card that applies at the station
you enter at. For Zone 1 stations that is £1.50 and for Z2-6D that is
£1. The system will deduct £4 at LU stations and £5 on entry but the
card balance can go negative. Whatever the fare you are supposed to pay
is, the card will have value either added back on or further deducted on
entry subject to any applicable caps. This applies to LU, DLR and inter
available NR journeys.

I am not at all aware of any £2 minimum fare unless that applies at NR
stations in Zone 1. None of the publicity or information I have seen has
mentioned that.
--
Paul C