Old November 26th 06, 11:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default Oyster PAYG Island Gardens via Bank to Liverpool Street

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 18:34:10 -0600, Tristán White wrote:

When going from Island Garden to Liverpool Street I use DLR to Bank
and then the Central Line. Do I need to touch out on the readers
at Bank as I am going from DLR to LU or is this considered one
journey?

As I said once, I got ********ed by a DLR ticket inspector for not
touching in at the start of my journey when I was travelling from Old
Street to Beckton via Bank. I had used the gates at Old Street but
hadn't touched the reader at Bank. His handheld device had no reference
to me using the gates on the underground, just that I hadn't validated
the DLR part.

The thing is, it wasn't even PAYG, it was an annual season ticket!!

If his machine couldn't see the season ticket, I reckon the cause was
an error reading the card rather than anything to do with the Bank
validator.

According to the "new rules", PAYG by not touching the reader on Bank
platforms would, I guess, be charged £8 (a £4 non-ending tube journey,
and a £4 non-starting DLR journey).

That seems unlikely to me - the readers would have no way of knowing
whether you changed between Tube and DLR at Bank, or at another
interchange where no touching is required (e.g. Stratford).

Empirical evidence accumulated prior to the introduction of the £4
charge suggested it's absolutely fine to ignore the validator at Bank
(and there have been stories of actually being overcharged for
touching it, though that issue has most likely been resolved by now).

The situation may have changed since, but personally I suspect all it
is is a case of crossed wires somewhere between the Oyster system
designers and the FAQ authors.