Old November 27th 06, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
pjcs pjcs is offline

Default Waterloo to South Bank Walkway

Phil Richards wrote in message
:

Any idea who is responsible for the upkeep of this? Network Rail or
Lambeth Council?

Rob wrote:

Is this walkway fully open again? At one time (until maybe ten years ago)
you could walk at high level all the way from the Eurostar end of Waterloo
right to Charing Cross, with just a dip under the tracks out of Charing
Cross. Then they closed the section from the far side of Waterloo Road
through the Shell Building and under the railway tracks: you had to come
down to ground level at Waterloo Road, walk along past the arches of the
viaduct and then climb back up a concrete spiral staircase near the Nelson
Mandela statue.

The last time I walked along, maybe a couple of months ago, it was open
from the station concourse, over York Road, through the Shell building
and over Belvedere Road, at which point you had to descend to street
level. The section that used to continue from there under the railway
line was a rather temporary structure, and has been gone for 5 years or
more. The original Hungerford footbridge to which it led has now of
course been replaced by the two new footbridges on either side of the
rail bridge.

Between Waterloo Station and York Road, the walkway passes through a
building (Elizabeth House?) which is, I believe, due to be demolished,
so the walkway may well be closed again for a while.

I would doubt that it belongs to Network Rail after it leaves the
boundary of the station, and I would guess that each section belongs to
the owner of the land underneath - ie NR, whoever owns E House (used to
be Government offices), Lambeth where it crosses the roads and Shell.

Peter CS