Old November 29th 06, 07:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default New DLR station, and old Thames Tunnel

On 2006-11-26 04:44:01 +0000, "John Rowland"
said:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk:80/tfl/press-c...le.asp?id=1340

Langdon Park

I've seen several references to this, and while I'm sure the new station
is a good idea, why is it costing £5.7m?
Two platforms with lifts and steps to street, some canopies etc, CCTV
and info displays.
I'd love to know where the costs come from.
Is it that the land acquisition that costs a fortune because it would
otherwise be used for high-density residential?

I doubt it. The £5.7m may well include a large contingency figure (+40%
is common). The visible expenses (platforms, lifts, steps, CCTV, info
screens, help points, ticket machines, lighting etc) may be the tip of
the iceberg - the cost of rerouting underground cabling, hooking the
various electric and electronics into central systems and altering
signalling may be be even larger.

Even reconstruction of seemingly short sections of highway can cost
six-figure sums these days.

--
Dave Arquati