Old December 1st 06, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Olof Lagerkvist Olof Lagerkvist is offline

Default Oyster PAYG Island Gardens via Bank to Liverpool Street

asdf wrote:

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:06:01 GMT, Olof Lagerkvist wrote:

Okay, I can (and most times do) take the 'one' to Stratford and then DLR

from there, PAYG is valid on that route too, but in that case I have

found out that I have to validate at Stratford too because otherwise the
DLR validator at CW tell me it is an entry when I exit there so I don't
think that is the possible not-via-zone-1 route they are thinking about
here.

I assume you validate "in" at Tottenham Hale in your example?

Yes.

You then
validate "in" again at Stratford for DLR and then "out" at Canary Wharf?

Yes, but there is always a question about what is a correct "in" a
Stratford in this case. When I touch the DLR validator it seems to exit
the 'one' journey and enter a DLR journey correctly

UIVMM this is not how the PAYG system works. It's all one PAYG journey
and there is no concept of it being divided into separate 'one' and
DLR journeys.

That is correct, I just meant that the interchange is registered
correctly when I touch the DLR validator but not the 'one' validator.

and it works
correctly as an exit later at Canary Wharf. But if I do not validate at
all at Stratford, or only on the 'one' validator, it does not register
an exit but instead an entry at Wharf.

Regarding the latter case, perhaps the 'one' validator is set to
"entry or exit" rather than "entry, exit, or interchange" (I don't
know the official terms so I've made these ones up).

But I'm at a loss to explain why it happens when you don't touch at
Stratford at all.

Even the official TfL instructions state that you don't need to touch
a validator when interchanging, except at Bank:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/dlr/tickets/oyster_faqs.shtml#9

Yes, but I have found out that when I have changed without touching at
Bank it has still worked correctly so I don't know why they have an
exception like that for Bank.

When you say the DLR validator at Canary Wharf registers an entry, is
that according to your journey history, or just the LCD display by the
validator?

It displays 'Entry' on the LCD display at Canary Wharf in that case (I
didn't check the journey history). When I touch the validators at
Stratford it says 'Exit' on either the 'one' or DLR validator and they
both adjust the charge to one single T. Hale - Stratford journey. If I
validate on both of them the 'one' validator says 'Exit', adjusts the
charge and the DLR validator says 'Entry' with a lower entry charge. But
it is then only adding the DLR part of my journey when I touch out at
Canary Wharf if I have touched the DLR validator at Stratford otherwise
it believes I am entering the system there, even if I do not validate at
all at Stratford (this seems to lead to two unresolved journeys).

Perhaps (I haven't checked) when the decision of a
validator's logic is "exit or interchange", it displays "enter" even
though you could actually be exiting.

That might be true when touching an enter-or-interchange-only validator
when interchanging, I have not checked that, but it is not the case if
the validator is also used for exiting because then it exits the journey
and adjusts to the fare to pay so far of the journey (because it has no
way of knowing that you intend to continue the journey in that case, it
just deducts a lower entry charge if the journey is continued by
touching in again right after the touch-out).

Yes, I don't really get how it works. But it is clearly different from
the logic at Bank for example. But Stratford is not possible to compare
to anything else because there are no more places where it is possible
to change from NR PAYG to DLR PAYG (at least not any I can think of
now).

Canning Town, Limehouse

Yes of course you are right. Would be interesting to check how it works
there. I am not very familiar with those stations, I have only changed
between DLR trains at Canning Town, but are there different validators
for NR and DLR platforms there too?

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451