Old December 3rd 06, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Jack Taylor Jack Taylor is offline

Default Chiltern and Virgin on Great Western.

Fig wrote:
I've been commuting out of Paddington recently and have a couple of
questions for the group.
Firstly, I've seen Chiltern trains in Paddington twice. One was
working a service to Princess Risborough via West Ruislip, not sure
what the other was doing.
Secondly, I've twice seen a Virgin Voyager on line East of Reading
(passing West Drayton).
I couldn't find any mention of these services in any time-tables. I
guess the Virgin trains could have been positioning somewhere for
maintainance or running a charter or something, but that Chiltern
fella was definately on the departure boards at Paddington as running
a service to Princess Risborough.
Can anybody shed some light on these movements?

As already (and informatively) detailed, Chiltern run into Paddington every
day in order for their drivers to retain route knowledge, as Paddington is
used as a diversionary terminus when any section of line between Northolt
Junction, Neasden Junction and Marylebone is required to be closed for
engineering work.

Currently there is an 05:26 (Mon-Fri) from Aylesbury, that arrives in
Paddington at 06:39 and which leaves as empty stock. There is then an 11:28
from Princes Risborough that runs on Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri to Paddington, arriving
at 12:29, and on Wednesdays only to Marylebone, arriving at 12:22. The
return services depart from Paddington to Princes Risborough at 12:55
Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri and from Marylebone at 13:00 on Wednesdays only.