Old December 7th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Olof Lagerkvist Olof Lagerkvist is offline

Default Oyster PAYG Island Gardens via Bank to Liverpool Street

Richard wrote:

Olof Lagerkvist wrote:

Why it is chosing the first example when you validate at Bank and the
second example if you are not is however not a fully clear logic to
the passenger interchanging at Bank and wondering whether or not to
validate there.

We've established, haven't we, that fares between two points are
defined, so Oyster should use that to determine the appropriate fare. We
have these special rules for Bank and Wimbledon (and others - these are
the two that I'm familiar with). Surely it would be easier all round to
remove the special rules that apply at these stations?

Certainly. I think the DLR validators should be changed, either so that
they only require touch-in and not touch-out (follow the same rules as
Tramlink), or that all DLR validators should be duplicated to entry-only
and exit-only validators. If they did one of this, allmost all confusion
at Bank, Stratford etc would be eliminated.

If the Bank validator is needed for people using the lift from the
surface, move the validator to the lift's upper entrance. At Wimbledon,
why have validators on the tram or District platforms? (There are
already barriers at both entrances to the station.) You even have to
remember which validators *not* to touch!

Winbledon is an interesting example. Surely, if yuo validate on a
validator at a tram-stop somewhere, travel to Wimbledon, change to
District Line and then later touch-out at a tube station gateline, why
would it not be possible for the Oyster software to calculate one tram
journey and one tube journey automatically? I cannot se why you have to
validate at Wimbledon in that case.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451